Saturday, May 6, 2017

Saturday, May 6th ~ Williams Arizona

I ended up here accidentally. After spending two days hiking and two nights camping in Oak Creek Canyon, I was ready to be in town again, in a real bed after a refreshing shower. So, I drove back to Flagstaff. I read about the town having a First Fridays event/ art walk that sounded similar to our First Fridays in Charlottesville. I got online and found a decent deal at a nice hotel that looks interesting and booked it through Hotwire. Once it was booked and a done deal because you can't undo a Hotwire booking, I clicked on the address to drive there and realized it wasn't even in Flagstaff! Williams is 30 minutes west of Flagstaff and the hub for the Grand Canyon. So, I guess I'll be hiking in the Grand Canyon next. It's good to be flexible! I hiked the Grand Canyon 10 years ago, seven miles down the Kaibab Trail and 10 miles up the Bright Angel Trail. 17 miles in a day is a lot, and I've aged a couple years since then so I'm not planning on doing that again.

Oak Creek Canyon is absolutely stunning! The photos I took don't even begin to capture it. They never do really in these special places. There's a feeling that comes from being there, and I can't explain it. It's like love, it's just magical.

I drove through Oak Creek Canyon 10 years ago on the way to the Grand Canyon, but didn't have time to stop and explore. I wanted to though, it was calling to me! I'm sorry it's taken me this long to get back here. I think the canyon is a different place now, it was crowded. The road is under construction to better handle the crowds. I enjoyed lots of swimming holes, but no skinny dipping. The hikes were spectacular. I saw several snakes. Two that I got pictures of; one was a non venomous water snake, the other a beautiful rattlesnake. I watched them both for several minutes. They didn't seem afraid of me, only curious. The rattlesnake didn't coil and rattle at me as they usually do if they feel threatened. Check out the pictures.

I met a guy at the campground in Oak Creek with a teardrop trailer (see pics). It is the coolest thing! I almost want one, but I think I'm over camping. It seems to have lost it's charm. There's something really sweet about real beds, showers, hot tubs, vegetables.... I'll be driving through Cortez in a few days, I'm going to stop and get a pedicure when I'm there : )

Photos: https://goo.gl/photos/1KLhB7FrTbPckVMt9

3 comments:

  1. HI Melanie - this was a pleasant interlude this morning (it's cool and rainy after a couple weeks of sunny & warm). I'm glad that you do what you do and approach it the way that you do; you appreciate the snakes and stuff in a way that I just wouldn't--I'd like to have a little of that! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mel: Have loved reading your blog. And the pictures are fantastic. Since you will be in Cortez soon, know that you will be about a 2-hour drive from my 5-acre parcel of land in the La Sals in Utah. I will be out there in 2-weeks. Why? Because I'm meeting someone who will begin site preparation for my future house. Site preparation work this late spring/summer. And hopefully commence home construction - a 1500 square foot ranch style cabin - in late spring/summer 2018. You are more than welcome to camp on my property while you are on this trip. Property is located off of Utah Route 46 in Old La Sal. The name of the community is Deerhaven. From Route 191 about 10 miles South of Moab, take Route 46 East for about 15 to 20 miles. When you see the Mount Peale Inn, you can stop in and inquire about getting to Deerhaven. Let me know if this is something you will be able to do while you are out there. Enjoy the remainder of your trip. And thanks for write-up and photos of Oak Creek Canyon. It's now definitely on my list of places to go. And really like the tear drop camper. Considering getting one - as long as my Subaru Forester can tow it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue Spears - Aunt: I love Oak Creek Canyon from way back in 1969 when I lived in Phoenix, AZ from 1968-1971. I was there in the summer so one could swim and slide on the rock and just hang around there. I looked it up; now called Slide Rock; looks too developed.

    ReplyDelete