Monday, September 17, 2012

The Little Things

Hunting season has begun and the energy at Vermejo Park Ranch is quite different now. More serious. Of five hunters this first week, three of them killed elk with a bow and arrow. The elk are majestic creatures. A couple weeks ago when I was hiking in the high country I suddenly heard a thundering noise. Looking to my left a great bull elk came running out of the woods, through a small meadow, and across the trail in front of me. I was in awe. I couldn't react and get my camera out; I was just stunned. What a beautiful gift. Trying to take a picture would have ruined the moment anyway.

Two days ago I was hiking a trail close to the lodge, within the "no hunting" area. As I was descending Fossil Canyon Trail I heard two elk "bugling" back and forth. It's an amazing sound, more like a whistling. I hear it every night as I lay in bed, beautiful, haunting. As I hiked down this trail listening to the elk, a big bull walked onto the trail from my right and trotted up the hill on my left, bugling all the way. I saw him make his way up the hill, then saw a cow run up the same hill. I don't know if they ever got together, but the bugling stopped anyway, so I'm thinking that they did.

Yesterday I left the ranch again for another adventure. I drove to Capulin Volcano: http://www.nps.gov/cavo/index.htm. I hiked three miles of trail at the base of the volcano and saw a lot of mule deer. They are so funny when they run, it's more like a hopping, nothing like the white tail back home. After my three mile hike I fixed my dinner on the tailgate of my 4Runner thinking about what I wanted to do next. The park was closed and so the road up the volcano was gated off and locked. I couldn't camp there because there was no overnight parking allowed. I thought maybe I had just enough time to hike up to the top to see the sunset from there. I power walked up the mountain, but wasn't fast enough, I turned to see the amazing sunset behind me. Ten or fifteen minutes later I was at the crater rim. I hiked down into the extinct volcano (this trail was just .2 mile) and back to the rim. The rim trail is just a mile of paved trail, but it was getting dark, so I just went up a little ways and turned back. It was a lovely hike back down the mountain in the dark. And it was Dark! A new moon and therefore no moonlight to guide my way. I brought a headlamp, but my eyes adjusted to the darkness and I made it down without. There's something magical about hiking on a volcano in the dark.

That's all for now. I'm in Raton getting my oil changed and going to do a little shopping, then back to the ranch. I'm going to post some new pictures as well. Ciao~

No comments:

Post a Comment