Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Strange Living

It's a strange way to live really, in a room above my work place. Yet, I'm so comfortable here. All of my "things"... a house full of furniture, kitchen ware, household items, my nice cozy bed, are all back in Virginia. My room here is nice, but it's like living out of a hotel room. I sleep in a twin size bed with a not so great mattress, there's a second bed with an even less great mattress, a dresser, night stand, a chair, and a dorm size refrigerator (for my kefir : ), yet it feels just right to be here. I sleep well for the most part, but on the days that I have to be at work at 5:00 or 6:00 am, I struggle to sleep, I think for fear of getting up on time. It's funny that I've become accustomed to working at night and sleeping in after all those years of early rising living on a farm.

I slept in until 8:30 this morning! This because two nights ago Frank slept with me. I was sitting on the floor in the hall outside my bedroom in order to get a better Internet connection when Frank snuck in through the open door. She promptly made herself comfortable on the foot of my bed. I took pity on her, (spoiled, pampered cat) and told her she could sleep on the chair as I gently placed her there. That was fine for about 20 minutes, then she got back on the foot of my bed and remained there until I had to get up at 5:30. Every time I turned in my sleep I was aware of this unmovable thing at my feet! So, it wasn't a restful night. Last time that's gonna happen!

After working from 6:00 am until a little after 9:00, I went for a short hike. There's a gazebo above the lodge that I've hiked to a couple times (photos posted- it's made out of wood from the ranch), I headed up that way, but turned instead and headed up a rocky area. I like to find a quiet place to lay in the sun and read or write in my journal. A couple times now I have gone for hikes and had to cut them short because of a storm rolling in, only to get back to the lodge and the storm never materialize. This time I decided to ignore the rumbling thunder. After my lunch I went exploring up above the gazebo and was on a rock cliff when the thunder and lightning happened simultaneously. Yikes! I hie tailed it down the mountain and across a field back to the lodge all the while lightning flashing and thunder booming around me. No rain though, and by the time I reached the lodge the storm was passed. I went in to work again at 4:00 to work the bar until a little after 10:00. There's a guest here right now, an 81 year old woman who has become my new hero. Lou. She's beautiful and sweet and full of spunk. I want to be just like her when I grow up! She and her husband used to travel and have adventures together, but he's now in a nursing home. She however is still driving, and still traveling alone. She's not fishing, but she has her guide, a handsome young man that drives her around the property sightseeing.

On an aborted hike last week I saw a rattle snake and an elk calf. Pictures posted on picasa. The wildlife is abundant here. I see mule deer regularly, and the bucks have huge antlers that are velvet covered right now. There have been raccoons and skunks in the front yard of the lodge, and always hummingbirds. It's an amazing place, and I am thoroughly enjoying my time here. I do miss my kids though, and Thomas, and you, my friends~ Blessings to all....

No comments:

Post a Comment